New Year’s Eve can be a stressful time for people recovering from drug or alcohol addiction. The celebrations involved attract a lot of drinking and drug use, and this might impose serious temptations. However, it is always important to remember that your sobriety is your priority. If you’re unsure how to spend a sober New Year’s Eve, reach out to Amatus Recovery Center to get advice on celebrating in an enjoyable and sober way.
3 Fun Sober New Year’s Eve Ideas
New Year’s Eve is a time to celebrate past achievements and forging plans for the new year. However, you don’t have to start the year in a position that is likely to trigger your addiction. Here are three entertaining ways for you and your loved ones to enjoy a sober New Year’s Eve:
1. Host a Game Night
Organize a sizable drug and alcohol-free party for your friends, family, or support group colleagues where you play games as you wait to enter into the new year. Have tasty appetizers and alcohol-free beverages for them to enjoy alongside a selection of interesting games.
Some lively adult games you can consider include:
- Countdown to Midnight – Arrange balloons in clock shape depending on the number of hours remaining to midnight and number each. You can then play other games as you wait to pop a balloon at the top of each hour before midnight.
- Video and virtual reality games
- Word games like Scrabble and Sudoku
- Poker and Uno
2. Take a Short Vacation
You can go on a short trip to a place that you enjoy visiting or to an entirely new place. This will not only keep you away from temptations but will also relieve stress, enhance your creativity, and open your mind to new possibilities. Additionally, you will have a chance to reconnect with old friends and network with new people.
3. Organize or Attend a Movie Marathon
A movie marathon is a great way to avoid crowds and temptations to use drugs or alcohol. You can do this with your partner or with a group of friends. Choose light-hearted, inspirational, and positive movies so that you usher in the new year in high spirits.
How Can You Manage Triggers During New Year’s Eve Celebrations?
It is essential to be prepared with a relapse prevention plan ahead of New Year’s Eve. Here are a few strategies you can adopt to stay above your addiction:
- Have an exit strategy – If you are at a party with drinking involved, you might start feeling uncomfortable or tempted to drink. Life-long sobriety involves making conscious and sometimes unpopular choices. Therefore, do not be afraid to excuse yourself from such situations. Your exit strategy can involve carrying enough money for a taxi ride home or calling your sponsor if you need help. There are also numerous addiction hotlines that you can call when confronted with such situations, and having the numbers saved will come in handy.
- Be in the company of a sober supporter – If you find yourself in situations where alcohol or drugs are present, it’ll be easier to stay sober if you have someone with whom you can share your struggles. Being accountable to someone will also help you fight temptation.
- Be firm – Practice saying no to people who might pressure you into drinking or drugging.
- Enroll in a sober living program – Sober living programs effectively eliminate potential drug abuse triggers. They also offer group, family, and individual therapies to prepare you for a sober life ahead.
Learn How You Can Stay Sober During New Year’s Eve at Amatus Recovery Centers
At Amatus Recovery Centers, we have counselors who can help you stay sober during the holidays and, most importantly, during New Year’s Eve. We have centers distributed in different locations across the US, including:
- Atlanta detox center
- Blueprint recovery center
- Foundations recovery center
- Georgia addiction treatment center
- Ohio treatment center